The Ultimate Home Moving Checklist: Part One
Before The Move
Whether you’re moving across town or cross country, it pays to be prepared. Stay organized with these helpful tips as you count down the weeks until moving day:
8 Weeks Before the Move
- Hire Professional Movers: Help make the moving process easier for you and your family by hiring professional local and long distance movers. Most moving companies offer full packing services, including full value transit protection on all household items to help ensure a smooth move. For a stress-free move, leave the packing and transportation to the professionals.
- Get Rid of Junk: Moving is a great opportunity to purge all of the old clothes, appliances, and junk that’s been accumulating in your house. Evaluate what you need to pack, and what items your family can do without.
- Create a Binder: Keep track of important information and documents that might get misplaced in the move by organizing a binder for you and your family. With all of your files in one place, you’ll be good to go.
- Plan Ahead & Save Time: If you can acquire a floorplan of your new home, organize where you intend to place your boxes and furniture on moving day. Create an inventory of your home to ensure that all belongings arrive safely.
6 Weeks Before the Move
- Slow Down on Grocery Shopping: Don’t let it go to waste! Finish using up things that you don’t want to move, such perishables, frozen food, cleaning supplies, and paper goods.
- Stock Up On Boxes & Shipping Containers: Consider ordering specialty containers such as wardrobe boxes for hanging clothes. Gather spare boxes and containers ahead of time.
- Sell or Donate: Organizing a community garage sale is a great way to make some extra cash. Before you toss anything, donate the items you weren’t able to sell.
4 Weeks Before the Move
- Start Packing: Start packing belongings that you will not be actively using before you move, such as books, specialty kitchen appliances, and out-of-season clothing.
- Label Your Boxes: Ensure that nothing gets misplaced on moving day by labeling each of your boxes with its contents and what room you want it moved into. Not only does this help you know where everything belongs, it also helps professional movers speed up the moving process.
- Change Your Address: Bills, subscriptions, insurance information, and everything else you receive in the mail should be changed to your new address ahead of time.
3 Weeks Before the Move
- Cancel Utilities: This tip is especially important! Contact your current utilities providers and confirm the days they will each be disconnected, then set them up at your new home.
- Forward Your Medical Records: For those moving long distance, have your current healthcare providers forward your medical records to your new provider. If you haven’t yet decided on healthcare providers in your new town, ask to keep copies of your medical records.
- Arrange Childcare: For families with small children, hiring a babysitter on moving day is a good idea.
1 Week Before the Move
- Prepare for Your First Night: Set aside things you’ll need on the first night in your new home. Be sure to label your boxes something along the lines of “Pack Last.” That way, it will be the last thing the movers pack and the first thing out of the truck on moving day.
24 Hours Before the Move
- Double Check the Details: Reconfirm your appointment with your movers and plan your method of payment. Most importantly, now is the time to empty and defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Prepare Yourself for Moving Day with Professional South Florida Movers
With over 50 years of industry experience, Meehan’s Family Moving is the most trusted source for local, long distance, and commercial movers in Palm Beach County. As third generation moving specialists, we understand how important your move is for you and your family.
It is our goal to ensure a pleasant and stress-free moving experience for you and your loved ones. We offer a wide variety of customizable moving services, from full-service packing to providing you with extra boxes on moving day.
At Meehan’s Family Moving, we’ll offer you the services you need at a price that works within your budget.
So, what are you waiting for? Call Meehan’s Family Moving, South Florida’s premier local, long distance and commercial movers. Contact us at (561) 904-6000 and find out how our family can help yours today!